Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here are some of the first roads I'll be taking my new ST to when I get it (all within an hour's drive or so from my house):
Latigo Canyon
LatigoCyn_01.jpg
LatigoCyn_02.jpg
CA-33
CA-33_01.jpg
CA-33_02.jpg
Cerro Noroeste
CerroNoroeste_01.jpg
Angeles Crest
AngelesCrest_01.jpg
AngelesCrest_02.jpg

Is there a way for these to be displayed inline?

Also NOT this:
104127-004-F5C6F7D2.jpg

·
Registered
778 Posts
Frankenbike - Do I smell a meet? The only think that stinks about all of those fun roads is that you almost always have to go through the crappy traffic to get there. Have you gone up Azusa Canyon? I don't know how far from you that is, but it's a fun drive. :)
Big Bear (the back side is more fun) and Mt. Baldy as well.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I live on Mount Greylock, and there's a very nice road that goes up it (elevation 3500ft). I just road my bike up and down it today.

But my car will mostly be in Michigan, and I don't know any good Michigan roads... I'll need to find some!

I'd love to take a road trip for Spring Break to drive Going to the Sun Mountain Road in Glacier.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Frankenbike - Do I smell a meet? The only think that stinks about all of those fun roads is that you almost always have to go through the crappy traffic to get there. Have you gone up Azusa Canyon? I don't know how far from you that is, but it's a fun drive. :)
Big Bear (the back side is more fun) and Mt. Baldy as well.
Yeah, crap traffic to go anywhere in SoCal if you leave the house after 11am on a weekend. But earlier than that it is not too bad :)

Azusa Canyon was closed for so long, I forgot it existed.

I think we may have to select our canyon roads by which one has someplace to eat nearby. Latigo: Neptunes Net. Angeles Crest: Newcolms Ranch (if it's still there). There's a little cafe along Angeles Forest Hwy, which is a good turnoff from Angeles Crest. I forget the place along 33 that had an outdoor BBQ pit.

Definitely need a SoCal meet and eat :)

·
Registered
252 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Latigo: Neptunes Net. Angeles Crest: Newcolms Ranch (if it's still there). There's a little cafe along Angeles Forest Hwy, which is a good turnoff from Angeles Crest. I forget the place along 33 that had an outdoor BBQ pit.

Definitely need a SoCal meet and eat :)
Neptune's Net most definitely!
The cafe on AFH burned down in the Station Fire.
Newcomb's is still there and has had regular hours, 7 days a week.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Frankenbike, I live on the Forest Hwy just off the Crest, and drive into town most days. A big reason for the ST is to make that drive more entertaining. The vid below is a stones throw from home/work, and a what NOT to do demo for the beginning motorcyclist. I hope to see all you So. Cal. folks up here soon!

Angeles Crest Highway close call! - YouTube
ummmmmm, idiot?

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Frankenbike, I live on the Forest Hwy just off the Crest, and drive into town most days. A big reason for the ST is to make that drive more entertaining. The vid below is a stones throw from home/work, and a what NOT to do demo for the beginning motorcyclist. I hope to see all you So. Cal. folks up here soon!

Angeles Crest Highway close call! - YouTube
Countersteering is a good bit of info that rider needs to learn :) That could have been sooooo much worse.

So backyard BBQ and meetup at your house?

Also, been on that road on various motorcycles since 1974. It's awesome but challenging. I really hate other Harley riders, because they never let anyone pass and they ride slow in large groups (I'm a Harley rider who doesn't ride slow on twisty roads).

·
Registered
753 Posts
Unfortunately all I have near me is a lot of straight boring interstates :-( I have to really hit the back roads to find anything interesting.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So backyard BBQ and meetup at your house?
Sounds like a plan. Home is actually Clear Creek Outdoor School, LAUSD's residential camp for science and nature study. Kind of waiting to see if I still have a job (and the associated home) after this next year's budget goes thru. Already searching out other employ. Barely spared by the fire, evacuated again after the winter debris flows, but it may be the economy and the school district's poor management of money that ultimately sends me packing. But if not, a start point for an ST meet and ride it shall be.

Reactions: Frankenbike

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
California State Route 1 :O:

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
California State Route 1 :O:

The main reason CA-1 isn't on my list, is that it's just clotted with RVs all year, going snail slow and the road is double lined practically the whole way so you can't pass 'em. At least south of San Francisco. Shoreline Highway north of San Francisco is one of my favorite roads anywhere. Still filled with tourons, but not as many.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Thank-you for your advice. I am a complete CA noob...moving out to Sacramento shortly, so I only know what I hear.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts