Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Inside Line just did a story about what they would drive if they had $100k+ to spend. Most of the editors said cars like the Ferrari F12, GTR, 911 GT3 etc... Michael Jordan said the Focus ST. Pretty high praise...Our $100,000+ Dream Cars

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'd say, "Screw practicality. I'll take a Fisker Karma please." Pretty, electric muscle car? Hell yes.

Plus it's cheating picking cars under $100K. Those are writers who don't know how to follow instructions.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Easy, Nissan GT-R. Next question? :LOL:

Reactions: lug

·
Registered
373 Posts
The guy said the ST to drive up page views and get the internet to pay attention. There's no way anyone would pick the ST when given $100k to spend on a car. The vast majority of people would either pick a GT-R or something German.

·
Registered
685 Posts
If it wasn't for the mad science aspect of the Fisker, GTR would be my pick too.

I'd never pick a supercar. They're cool to look at, but horrible to drive around the city in. And Porsches are so...Porsche. An M3 would be fun. But a GTR is just over the top and still a great car to drive around in. People who know, would respect it.

Is there a good rally car that's still streetable that you can get for $100K+?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Ya, but the Fisker will probably break down after 10 miles, or did they fix that yet?

It is a freaking beautiful car. I saw quite a few in Amsterdam.
I think they're supposed to be bought as lavish trojan horses for your worst enemy so you can burn their house down from the inside out. Right? [Waits for letter from Fisker legal team]

The guy said the ST to drive up page views and get the internet to pay attention. There's no way anyone would pick the ST when given $100k to spend on a car. The vast majority of people would either pick a GT-R or something German.
Agreed on the ST. No way. No how. Either he's just got a short memory, or he missed the point of the "exercise". Or I'm in for a HELL of a surprise.

If it wasn't for the mad science aspect of the Fisker, GTR would be my pick too.

I'd never pick a supercar. They're cool to look at, but horrible to drive around the city in. And Porsches are so...Porsche. An M3 would be fun. But a GTR is just over the top and still a great car to drive around in. People who know, would respect it.

Is there a good rally car that's still streetable that you can get for $100K+?
Based on your other comments about supercars, I'd say it is incredibly unlikely based on the racecars I've met. What's wrong with Porsches? M3 is a great choice. As is a GT-R. If we're talking street cars, the Audi R8 is a great grand tourer, too. Not a great performance car in earnest, but good looking, comfy, quiet, and easy to drive.

There isn't an easy answer to the question, which is what makes the endeavor entertaining (and traffic producing).

·
Registered
166 Posts
I feel like you can't go wrong with an M3. Should be well-behaved on the streets and doesn't draw too much attention without the supercar looks.

I would have to consider the Cadillac CTS-V line... that car packs a punch!

·
Registered
869 Posts
I feel like you can't go wrong with an M3. Should be well-behaved on the streets and doesn't draw too much attention without the supercar looks.

I would have to consider the Cadillac CTS-V line... that car packs a punch!
Yup. CTS-V is a very nice car. Also very heavy, but very well done indeed.

And I agree on the M3. I suspect that Chris Harris' is correct in his suggestion that the 6-speed E46 may be one of the last truly great all 'round sports cars with a manual transmission at a mid/high price point. Most of what's left that's great with a MT is at the bottom end, minus possibly Lotus and Porsche, and PDK is quickly eating away at the latter.

It'll probably be a collectable car (among a handful of others) that will be white flagships of a bygone era. And it'll be remembered fondly in the future. Especially by those in their 30s and 40s now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I think the Tesla Model S is one of the best and most interesting choices.

But extremely hard to the Tesla choose when you're up against my other favorites:
Nissan GTR, Corvette ZR1, CTS-V Wagon

I want to say Porsche 911 in there, but I think I would prefer an older 911 or the newest Boxter.
I'm also surprised I didn't see a prominent showing of the BMW M3 or 1M.

Magazines rave about the 911 and BMW M3/1M every time they drive them. But I agree, they don't have the complete mindbending performance aspects of the GTR or ZL1.

But in regards to the ST choice, I can appreciate the James May (Top Gear) type of idea. It can be more fun to drive a slower car at it's limit most of the time, than drive an all out performance vehicle near its limit for a fraction of the time. Such is the idea for the choice of the Toyobaru and ST and I can respect that.

Edit: Fixed corvette, just read the Camaro ZL1 article :p

·
Registered
869 Posts
I think the Tesla Model S is one of the best and most interesting choices.

But extremely hard to the Tesla choose when you're up against my other favorites:
Nissan GTR, Corvette ZL1, CTS-V Wagon

I want to say Porsche 911 in there, but I think I would prefer an older 911 or the newest Boxter.
I'm also surprised I didn't see a prominent showing of the BMW M3 or 1M.

Magazines rave about the 911 and BMW M3/1M every time they drive them. But I agree, they don't have the complete mindbending performance aspects of the GTR or ZL1.
What ZL1 would that be?

I'd take a GT3 RS over a GT-R any minute of any day. I saw them put down similar times at my home track, but the GT3 is so much more of a joy to drive (and you have to actually KNOW how to drive to drive it). Steering feel is better, lighter, sounds better, etc., etc., etc.

The GT-R as a street car is definitely amazing, but for my money, performance-wise, the GT-R can't touch the RS unless it has been worked over pretty nicely.

·
Registered
24 Posts
What ZL1 would that be?

I'd take a GT3 RS over a GT-R any minute of any day.
You're probably right on this one. But the GT3 didn't really cross my mind because it's above $100k.

Consider that the GTR's straight line performance can be a lot of fun as well. Less important, but it is a consideration. So I wouldn't agree with any minute of any day.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You're probably right on this one. But the GT3 didn't really cross my mind because it's above $100k.

Consider that the GTR's straight line performance can be a lot of fun as well. Less important, but it is a consideration. So I wouldn't agree with any minute of any day.
Fair enough. The GT-R is AMAZING off the line. I agree. Not in those minutes (or seconds!!). :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts