Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else considering this? More than likely by the time of delivery, I'll have an overlap with my lease car for a month or so, so I could throw the ST up on jackstands and send the wheels off for powdercoating. I'm kinda liking the bronze/gold Subaru look, ie at the top of this page :!:

edit: looks like this belongs in the Wheels/suspension section

·
Registered
184 Posts
go on youtube and type in plasti dip. I have used it on 3 cars wheels now and its amazing. easy, cheap, and removable if you change your mind.

·
Registered
284 Posts
go on youtube and type in plasti dip. I have used it on 3 cars wheels now and its amazing. easy, cheap, and removable if you change your mind.
Looks interesting, especially the fact that you can peel it off later. Wheel nail polish (can't believe that came to mind....)??? But how long does it last? Does brake dust affect it?

·
Registered
617 Posts
I've done plasti-dip before, and I do love the stuff. It's pretty durable and is a very cheap mod. That being said, I'm probably going to go with powdercoat on the ST. I'd be looking for a more long term solution. Ill probably pull my rims off as soon as I get car and go have them done. I know if I start driving the car for awhile, I won't want to park it for a week to get the wheels powdercoated. LOL

·
Registered
277 Posts
I'de be tempted to see the plastidip gold metalizer on these rims. I was seriously considering doing this, or the gunmetal, I really like the black rims I have on my Focus now, I mean really like them. I have Chrome rims on the wifes minivan.... Nuff said :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Originally I had planned on goin with tuxedo black and powder coating the wheels white as soon as I got it, Now I'm thinking about going with oxford white and just selling stock wheels and getting some decent aftermarket wheels.:p

·
Registered
277 Posts
Originally I had planned on goin with tuxedo black and powder coating the wheels white as soon as I got it, Now I'm thinking about going with oxford white and just selling stock wheels and getting some decent aftermarket wheels.:p
You could always go with white plastidip and gloss finisher :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Me too brotha. I'm thinking maybe a very dark glossy blue/red color on Tuxedo White

·
Registered
685 Posts
After seeing a picture of the black ST, I started looking up what it costs to powdercoat. In LA there's a place that does it for $75. Other places in the country, I've seen $50. In my experience, nothing holds up quite like powdercoat.

I'm thinking all black or very very dark red, or finding out if I can get black centers with red rims.

I like the OEM wheels, hate the finish.

·
Registered
417 Posts
How long does a shop need the rims to powdercoat?

After seeing a picture of the black ST, I started looking up what it costs to powdercoat. In LA there's a place that does it for $75. Other places in the country, I've seen $50. In my experience, nothing holds up quite like powdercoat.

I'm thinking all black or very very dark red, or finding out if I can get black centers with red rims.

I like the OEM wheels, hate the finish.

·
Registered
617 Posts
How long does a shop need the rims to powdercoat?
When I had my beadlocks on my Hummer done few years back, they had them for about a week. But this were pretty labor intensive though with all the masking that need to be done. So on regular rims Im not sure.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I wasn't a huge fan of the ninja-star spoke design at first, but I'll admit it's grown on me. I'd like to do a glossy black powdercoat cause I think that will go nicely with the PB exterior I want. Add a set of red brembo calipers down the road and it'll be looking real fierce.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I really like this idea. I think I'll do this before I commit to powdercoating.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Whatever you do, Photoshop it first.....
Pixels are way cheaper than paint
Plus you can try out a lot of combos before you settle on one

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm getting TS paint. Thinking about maybe black/dark dark gray spokes, with yellow on the sides of the spokes, although it might be rather tough to match the TS...hmm. If I decide to go one color, it'll be dark gray.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts