Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few threads had questions about wheel specs. Here they are...

18 x 8.0
55 mm offset
backspacing = 169.5 mm / 6.673 in
63 mm center bore
weight = 25 lbs (hey, it's gotta pass durability!)
tire pressure = 36psi

same size as optional 18" titanium wheels

16" wheels will fit over the front brakes.
Spare is just a base SE 16" steel wheel with the Continental all season tire mounted

I wouldn't recommend lower offset wheels as the KPO and scrub start to get big and not good with low profile tires and a bunch of torque and braking capacity.

Definitely get snow tires if you live where it snows. I'm not a fan of all seasons esp for performance cars. They're a compromise in the winter and a compromise in the summer. Owner's call though...

Ride v. good for a 40 series tire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for the info. Given the specs for the stock wheel, would the O.Z. Ultraleggera fit on the car? Here is the info for it from tire rack:

Size: 18x8
Offset: 38mm
Backspacing: 5.98"
Bolt Pattern: 5-108
Rec. Tire Size: 235/40-18
Weight: 18.4lbs.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If the brakes are the same or at least the same size as the titanium handling package, you can fit 15" steelies over them without any problem, I have the package and used 15" rims for my winter tires.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. Given the specs for the stock wheel, would the O.Z. Ultraleggera fit on the car? Here is the info for it from tire rack:

Size: 18x8
Offset: 38mm
Backspacing: 5.98"
Bolt Pattern: 5-108
Rec. Tire Size: 235/40-18
Weight: 18.4lbs.

Thanks in advance.
With the above, you're moving the wheel outboard 17mm due to the offset difference.

Might rub
Will change steering geometry
Will load bearing differently from design/test

Because of the above I couldn't recommend but that being said I'm sure they will be installed on some cars.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the brakes are the same or at least the same size as the titanium handling package, you can fit 15" steelies over them without any problem, I have the package and used 15" rims for my winter tires.
Rear brakes are the same as Titianium
Front brakes are 320mm diameter vs. 300 on Titanium/base.

·
Registered
13 Posts
With the above, you're moving the wheel outboard 17mm due to the offset difference.

Might rub
Will change steering geometry
Will load bearing differently from design/test

Because of the above I couldn't recommend but that being said I'm sure they will be installed on some cars.

That's not what I wanted to hear but thanks for your input. Hopefully there will be a wheel that works with the st that weighs less.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Thanks for the specs... time to start checking in with Compomotive and Team Dynamics to see what's available in this size. Wonder if a 17 will look too small on the car? Hmmmm...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I plan to use 17s with a 50 series tire for a more comfortable ride, as mentioned in this thread...

Smaller Wheels

I may change my mind, but I'm pretty sure I will go with either BBS CF or BBS CS wheels (17x7.5). The CS wheels are available with several offsets, including 45. Although that is a 10mm difference from the stock offset, since I plan to use 215/50R17 tires, which are 20mm narrower than the stock tires, I suspect they will fit fine. Also, since the spare tire (at least on the ST3) is a 16, there should be no clearance issues running 17s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think I may have found a solution that might work? (timo, please feel free to offer your input)
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Lightweight Wheel

I have been emailing an employee and the 18x8 wheel weighs 20.9 lbs, has a 50mm offset, and a 73mm center bore but they can provide a ring to match the 63mm center bore that the stock wheel has. Would this work for the st or would it affect the steering, etc?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think I may have found a solution that might work? (timo, please feel free to offer your input)
Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 Lightweight Wheel

I have been emailing an employee and the 18x8 wheel weighs 20.9 lbs, has a 50mm offset, and a 73mm center bore but they can provide a ring to match the 63mm center bore that the stock wheel has. Would this work for the st or would it affect the steering, etc?
I was able to configure a set of 18s to the exact specs?

Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2
Selected options:

select: 8.0 x 18
select: Anthracite Grey
select: 55mm
select: 5x108
select bore: 63mm
Edit options
$253.50 x = $1,014.00

·
Registered
13 Posts
That's interesting miklopolis. I have been corresponding with a sponsor over at the focus forum focaljet. He has been really helpful and here is what I have found out so far:

The wheels can be ordered in 18x8 but the maximum offset available is 53mm. For what it's worth, 53mm is also listed as the max on the team dynamics website (Team Dynamics Racing). He did say he would look into 55et availability but I'm fine with ordering 53.

The 1.2 wheel can possibly be ordered without the 'team dynamics motorsport' stamp on the lip of the wheel. It's known as the 1.2s and he is looking into this as well for me.

Here is what I've been quoted so far:
"Yes, you can order a set of 18x8/5x108/offset choice with hubcentric bore wheels. Price is $231.95 each/$927.80 per set + shipping."
add $10 per wheel if you do not want the engraving (this has not been confirmed-still in the works).

If we get a group purchase going the price should lower significantly based on this thread I found in a google search:
Team Dynamics Pro Race Super Buy

I will keep you all updated when I find out more info. For the record I have no affiliation to either company or team dynamics. I just want to find the lowest weight wheel for my future st and use the stock wheels for winter tires.

·
Registered
61 Posts
This site is helpful in picturing how certain offsets, tires etc.. will differ from the stock rims. I used to have a Volvo 850 T-5 and the wheels are the same 5x108 pattern. Unfortunately they are only 16" so I am thinking they won't clear the brakes, was hoping to use them as winter wheels.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I hope 16s clear! I have a set of snows mounted up for my titanium Focus that I was planning on using on the ST.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
16s might be real tight! I hear they are still finalizing the brake package though, so I'm not sure if the brake rotor size is the same as from the spec page here in another thread:
Front: 320x25mm discs, 57mm wheel cylinder diameter
Rear: 271x11mm discs, 37mm wheel cylinder diameter

Edit: Browsing around other forums, looks like some people were fitting certain 16" wheels on their BMW M3s with their larger 325 mm rotors (there was talk about shaving the rotor though :eek: ). Lots of people have fit 16s over the MazdaSpeed3s 320mm brakes too. So depending on the wheel shape and the STs caliper size, they may just fit.

·
Registered
280 Posts
16s might be real tight! I hear they are still finalizing the brake package though, so I'm not sure if the brake rotor size is the same as from the spec page here in another thread:

Edit: Browsing around other forums, looks like some people were fitting certain 16" wheels on their BMW M3s with their larger 325 mm rotors (there was talk about shaving the rotor though :eek: ). Lots of people have fit 16s over the MazdaSpeed3s 320mm brakes too. So depending on the wheel shape and the STs caliper size, they may just fit.
I suspect this will be a matter of model, width, and offset for the 16's. Team Dynamics has a set of ProForged 19.5's that are specifically made for Focus RS owners. I will make an inquiry and see if/at what offset the Pro Race 1.2 in 16x7 will clear the Euro ST's brake package. I know the Pro Race 1.2 in 16x7/45et clears the Focus SVT brakes which are 299mm. Will see if TD has some insight.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts

16'' will fit per Lisa and a conversation about snow tires and will 16" wheels fit.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts