Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am planning on swapping wheels as one of the first few mods when I receive this car, as are several members here. Now I know some people here are more in the know with this body style Focus so I was wondering how wide I can go with a wheel tire combo without any issues with rubbing, assuming I stick with an 18in wheel. Also what offset for the wheel will allow me the widest wheel tire combo(I am probably gonna go with an 18x9 wheel and want the widest tire I can get for it as I don't like the stretched tire look).

Now this is from somebody who has a 315/35/17 on the back of his Mustang, as you can see I like a lot of rubber.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Accidentally posted this in the wrong section, Chad and you move to the correct location of the forum.
You are good. This is the correct forum. :)

heh..good news about my wheels...I won't be purchasing an ST until after snow is gone.. No worries about getting snow tires right away.

I will be painting my wheels matte black if I get a White ST.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Somebody else must have moved it cause I originally posted it in the Top Stories section.

I am lucky that I live in Florida so I only need 1 set of wheels/tires, I plan on upgrading to 18x9's pretty soon after getting the car and using the factory tires and once they wear out I'll upgrade to larger tires 245/40R18 min and if they will fit I'll put a set of 265/35R18 tires on it.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
You can wear them out fast.. :) Lots and lots of hard cornering and squealing launches... :O:

Funny thing is, I just moved from FL.. West Palm Beach in fact.

Stupid snow.. :D

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nah I won't be wearing them out very quickly, I'll drive the car maybe once or twice a week, I enjoy getting 65mpg too much on my bike to drive the car that often that and my bike is a blast to ride.

I live in Tampa, I don't see how you could ever move to somewhere it snowed lol.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Good call Mustang Man - one area that I would seriously consider is replacing the stock wheels on the ST. In my case I probably wouldn't be looking to go any wider - it's just that I'm not that crazy about the stock wheels. Maybe because, for me at least, they appear too stylized.

I wonder how long it will take a company such as TireRack to make replacement wheels available. And Chad, would a company like TireRack be a potential advertiser on ST Nation? :!!:

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plan on getting the ProRace 1.2 wheels in 18x9(don't wanna get a skinnier than factory wheel I just can't do it lol) and have them painted to match the exterior color and have the engraved name on the wheels painted the same red that is on the ST badges.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Mustang Man, have you ordered your ST yet, an if so, where? I'm down in Sarasota and have yet to settle on a dealership, so I'm open to recommendations and am willing to go to Tampa or wherever to work with a good dealer.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will be ordering on Wednesday(went to order this previous Saturday but it appears Inventory Managers don't work on Saturdays at any dealers). I will most likely be placing my order through Brandon Ford(who I have previously worked for) but will be negotiating with Jarret Ford in Plant City via e-mail Monday-Tuesday and when Wednesday rolls around I will go to Brandon Ford(who already has my info and will have a price waiting for me) and say Dealer X gave me this price can you beat it. My goal is to get the lowest price for an ST2 on this site(have to beat $25,500 after destination). I will also have the best negotiator I know doing all the negotiations for me so I should be able to beat that goal I have.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Let me know if it goes well, and tell them if it does, they just might get nother sale out of it: mine.

·
Registered
102 Posts
yea man i'm looking for actual track tires. tire rack only shows summer tires. looking on the hoosier website now...not seeing anything yet...
I've had great luck with Toyo in the past. Have always run the RA 1, but a lot of guys are switching over to the R 888 now. I'll likely go with a smaller diameter wheel with a higher aspect ratio - something like a 235/45/17. With that size, the overall rolling diameter will only be .2 inches off of stock.

Competition Tires | Toyo Tires

·
Registered
51 Posts
unless things have changed in the last year or two, the RA1's are better than the R888's!

For track, and even street, I'd consider 255x40x17.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Ok, I am planning on swapping wheels as one of the first few mods when I receive this car, as are several members here. Now I know some people here are more in the know with this body style Focus so I was wondering how wide I can go with a wheel tire combo without any issues with rubbing, assuming I stick with an 18in wheel. Also what offset for the wheel will allow me the widest wheel tire combo(I am probably gonna go with an 18x9 wheel and want the widest tire I can get for it as I don't like the stretched tire look)..
I'm having the same issue with deciding on specs, I found a company that has 2 sets that I like and will do a custom PCD for them...the issue is one comes in a 18x8.5(or 9.5) +45(34) and the other is only available in a 18x9.5 +34. I don't mind having my fenders rolled and plan to eventually switch to coilovers for adjustability. With that stated, what would ya'll suggest for tire options on both to provide minimal stretch?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm having the same issue with deciding on specs, I found a company that has 2 sets that I like and will do a custom PCD for them...the issue is one comes in a 18x8.5(or 9.5) +45(34) and the other is only available in a 18x9.5 +34. I don't mind having my fenders rolled and plan to eventually switch to coilovers for adjustability. With that stated, what would ya'll suggest for tire options on both to provide minimal stretch?
The fenders can't be rolled, that normal underside lip on the fender you roll doesn't exist on this car. I checked this when I bought mine since I normally run a wider wheel and noticed this.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts