Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Realize that should be an easy answer...in the cross hatched area.

But for life of me, and no leaks, my new "used" 2013 that supposedly had an oil change before being sold looked low (below hatched area on stick) and dark to me. So, I had it changed, made sure it was 5W30 and not the 20 all the service systems say is supposed to be used. NOT sure service used more than 4.5 qts.

Now, oil clean and slightly above hatched area. Never seems to "fill" first hole by lower hatched area and def doesn't "fill" second hole by top of hatched area.

Think I should get another quart and add a few ounces to see where that brings oil level up...after warmed and then 10 minute cool down? I think oil should be at top of hatched area...

Been working on cars, small engines, etc. for many years...first time I can't get oil level right.

·
Registered
615 Posts
The car is supposed to take 5.7 quarts of oil, not 4.5 like the non turbocharged 2.0 L GDI engine in the regular 2012-2015 Ford Focus. If they only used 4.5 quarts it would be 1.2 quarts down and should not be reading on the dip stick at all.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
The car is supposed to take 5.7 quarts of oil, not 4.5 like the non turbocharged 2.0 L GDI engine in the regular 2012-2015 Ford Focus. If they only used 4.5 quarts it would be 1.2 quarts down and should not be reading on the dip stick at all.
Indeed. The oil (and water) cooled turbo system requires far more oil than the non-ST Focus models. According to the 2013 Focus ST Supplement (page 25), the oil capacity is 5.7 quarts, but I believe I usually put in approximately 5.8 quarts. If interested, I have information about my oil changes here and here.

Reactions: GrantD63

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply guys. Especially concerned about level since we're in single digit temps these days. Got a quart of 5W30 Motorcraft Semi-Syn today and will add slight amounts and check level on stick until its at higher end of hashed area on stick.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts