Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
1. I don't believe anyone is running a 20 as of now because most have swapped to winter setups. I believe most guys are looking to stay between 17" and 19".

2. I only know of one ST on here that's lowered and he's running KW springs that didn't drop it too much.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would imagine ride and handling would be worse. That leaves you with less than 2.7" of sidewall. They do sell 235-30/R20 tires though, which is what you'd need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I looked around and didn't see too much info for that particular wheel. Is it one of their forged offerings and do you know what the weight in the correct size/offset would be? On my SVT Focus just a six pound increase in a heavier wheel and tire combo made the suspension hammer over rough spots and didn't help ride quality. That seems fairly universal for a lot of cars and is likely going to be more pronounced if you plan to stick with the stock suspension for a while. I'd personally rather find a nice, wide 17 or 18" wheel that fits and reduces unsprung mass if possible but those do look pretty good in the titanium finish.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I know big wheels are all the rage but if you went through 4-5 sets of tires a year like I do, you'd really see where having 17" wheels is a must. Top that with lightweight (16-17#) 17x8.5-9 wheels and you can put some serious rubber underneath the car at a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think they would look better in all black. I'm not a fan of polished lips. I would look for a similar wheel that is 18" anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree with Z3Papa. Your car will feel so much more sluggish with bigger wheels/tires. Maybe because i AutoX so much but i'd rather find a SMALLER rim thats wider to eliminate unsprung weight. I talked my friend into taking off his 19's while at an autoX after 3 runs, and toss on my road tires that were 17's. He couldnt believe the difference in the way the car behaved. It braked better, had better turn in, and he also thought it was faster accelerating. I've always been told adding 1 pound of unsprung weight is like adding 25 pounds to the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
A 20" wheel is for ricer cars on something this size, if you buy an ST and want performance that is the last thing you would do. Sorry if I offend anybody but I have been modding cars for 45 years, 10 of those 510 Datsuns, I built the first turbo 1ZZ Matrix, 17x8 RPF1 wheels, second fastest SM can in SoCal, raced Vettes, just sold a 500HP 2300 lb 95 M3 I was building, and looking hard at the ST as one of only two cars that will fit in my trailer we are going to travel all over NA and drive on all the great tracks with.

I have a 318ti project car, 300HP, same weight, size(larger interior), weight, I am currently building but once I get to drive the ST I might just change to it but I will have to REALLY like it and of course mod it, not enough power, audio, sound deadening, wider light wheight wheels which seem none existent for now.....

I have a new Duramax dually and replaced the springs with 3/4 ton, removed the overloads(80 lbs of unsprung weight) and added air bags to take care of the hitch load of a 19000 lb trailer and it rides far better than stock, far better than our V8 4runner with high end shocks and air bags even, actually handles incredibly well for an 8k lb truck!

No offense meant but the reality is real performance and what some think is performance is not in the same realm. I do respect your right to do as you wish, I do not understand why as a lifelong modifyer but to each his own, do what makes you happy:)

Rick

·
Registered
164 Posts
Still don't know of anyone that would want to put 20's under a Fiesta ST Hard enough to fit wider 17's under the new Fiesta ST

·
Registered
66 Posts
A 20" wheel is for ricer cars on something this size, if you buy an ST and want performance that is the last thing you would do. Sorry if I offend anybody but I have been modding cars for 45 years, 10 of those 510 Datsuns, I built the first turbo 1ZZ Matrix, 17x8 RPF1 wheels, second fastest SM can in SoCal, raced Vettes, just sold a 500HP 2300 lb 95 M3 I was building, and looking hard at the ST as one of only two cars that will fit in my trailer we are going to travel all over NA and drive on all the great tracks with.

I have a 318ti project car, 300HP, same weight, size(larger interior), weight, I am currently building but once I get to drive the ST I might just change to it but I will have to REALLY like it and of course mod it, not enough power, audio, sound deadening, wider light wheight wheels which seem none existent for now.....

I have a new Duramax dually and replaced the springs with 3/4 ton, removed the overloads(80 lbs of unsprung weight) and added air bags to take care of the hitch load of a 19000 lb trailer and it rides far better than stock, far better than our V8 4runner with high end shocks and air bags even, actually handles incredibly well for an 8k lb truck!

No offense meant but the reality is real performance and what some think is performance is not in the same realm. I do respect your right to do as you wish, I do not understand why as a lifelong modifyer but to each his own, do what makes you happy:)

Rick
Who is this? You a member of Cal Club SCCA? This is Rocky. I used to run a WRX in STX, then an 05 STi in STU before I moved to Texas awhile back. I just traded an 08 R32 for this Fiesta ST, and loving it! Hope to be back to AutoX soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts