Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why wouldn't Ford offer an optional auto trans with paddle shifters? They are going to lose a lot of potential buyers. I think this is a poor move on Ford's part. :?:

·
Registered
373 Posts
I agree. They should have beefed up the dual clutch transmission and improved the programming on it to be a true GTI competitor. Too many people are going to look at the ST, ask for an automatic option, and then go right back to the GTI/GLI.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'd say its in the works. I've had a SMG with paddle shifters and automatic shifting. IMO it's not a true manual or a automatic. Maybe it was BMW's failed attempt. I did drive a BMW is dual clutch gearbox with paddle shifters and that was pretty sweet! As far as Ford, I heard there was issues with their dual clutch gearbox with the Focus. I'd say let them work that out before they throw it into the ST.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'd say its in the works. I've had a SMG with paddle shifters and automatic shifting. IMO it's not a true manual or a automatic. Maybe it was BMW's failed attempt. I did drive a BMW is dual clutch gearbox with paddle shifters and that was pretty sweet! As far as Ford, I heard there was issues with their dual clutch gearbox with the Focus. I'd say let them work that out before they throw it into the ST.
They've already offered a fix for the existing dual clutch gearbox in the Focus, there's a new shifting program that Ford dealers can install on existing cars (and all new ones have the update) that helps immensely.

There's been zero indication of an automatic option coming in the ST though, despite projecting to sell only 8000-10,000 STs a year.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I think after the first model year seeing what they actually get in sales of the ST they may consider it.

More people will become aware of this car as we show it off to friends and family. We're advertising for Ford when we buy this car and as awareness increases in the market they probably will have a better idea of if a DSG, Auto, CVT will increase their bottom line. It's all about the benjamins baby! :p

·
Registered
354 Posts
FWIW, we have 14k miles on our 12 Focus SEL, we took delivery early June last year prior to any of the reprogramming TSBs.

The DCT has been the best part of owning the new Focus, it's fast shifting and very smooth. We have never experienced any of the roughness starting or stoping others have.

I have been reluctant to have any of the transmission programing updates performed for fear of it having a negative effect, as such, the car has never been back to the dealer.

I have two recall notices sitting on the kitchen table; one for Safety - the wiper motor seal, the other for Customer Satisfaction - to reprogram the tranny to change the hill assist function (which I assume applies all the other updates). I guess it's time to bring it in.

I have read that the current DCT is not rated to take the power of the ST.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I have read that the current DCT is not rated to take the power of the ST.
This is the real reason, they don't have a DCT in house that currently can handle the torque demand of the engine. Maybe in the future, but at the same time; it's a sports car - it just wouldn't be the same if you weren't punching through the gears yourself.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Somehow.... sports car and manual trans dont meld into the same thought for me..
Was that a typo Rev? I generally think people who want automatics want them because they are not really interested in being part of the driving experience. I'm sure we will get there soon, but I have not yet found a car I can afford with an automatic that will ALWAYS shift exactly when I want it to. Many people who want automatics do not know when they want to shift because they don't want to even think about that. Of course, this is only a generalization of the way I see things. I'm sure there are a percentage of folks out there who love the driving experience who prefer automatics in cars under $30k.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Was that a typo Rev? I generally think people who want automatics want them because they are not really interested in being part of the driving experience. I'm sure we will get there soon, but I have not yet found a car I can afford with an automatic that will ALWAYS shift exactly when I want it to. Many people who want automatics do not know when they want to shift because they don't want to even think about that. Of course, this is only a generalization of the way I see things. I'm sure there are a percentage of folks out there who love the driving experience who prefer automatics in cars under $30k.
How much time have you spent with a VW that has the DSG? GTI, GLI, CC, or really even the Audi A3, TT, or S4/S5... they'll make you believers in how quick and amazing a dual clutch automatic can be.

·
Registered
547 Posts
A good friend of mine had a TT, and he hated the tranny. It spent more time in the shop then his garage. He opted for a manual vette. lol

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
The PowerShift isn't nearly as refined as the DSG. I think it will get there but VW has a huge head start.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I hope they never offer a manual in it, honestly. :D
Again, I have to ask...is that a typo? Did you mean to say you hope they never offer an automatic in it? I think this is what you mean since we all know the ST only comes with a manual (for now).

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
How much time have you spent with a VW that has the DSG? GTI, GLI, CC, or really even the Audi A3, TT, or S4/S5... they'll make you believers in how quick and amazing a dual clutch automatic can be.
The only VW I've owned was a Scirocco, and it had a manual. I have heard lots of people praise the DSG in modern VWs though, so I'm certainly not damning the whole lot, just making generalizations from my own experience.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts