Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed that when the sun is out, the dash reflects off the inside of the windshield? I can live with this but it does reduce forward visibility, making it kind of annoying. Is there anything that can fix
this problem a little?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've noticed it more the last couple weeks than usual. You can buy one of those dash mats and it should cut down on the glare a bit.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have it too, bad. Living in the Pac North West sun glare sucks. I think that I am going to lightly tint the front shield. anyone tried this yet?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Try some polarized sunglasses. I always have them on when it's sunny, so I haven't really noticed it.
Sorry but I'm just not a glasses/shades kind of guy

I have it too, bad. Living in the Pac North West sun glare sucks. I think that I am going to lightly tint the front shield. anyone tried this yet?
I thought about this as well, if it works I would do it

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Sorry but I'm just not a glasses/shades kind of guy

I thought about this as well, if it works I would do it
It's a night and day difference. Plus, your eyes need the same protection against UV rays that your skin needs.
You can try something else, but polarized lenses were made to cut down on glare and reflections like this. It's your best option. Other than that, I'd say maybe a tint? It won't help much, but it's something.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yeah, I've noticed the reflection. It was actually worse in my RSX because of a distinct contour that circled the driver's side. I know it's impossible to actively try, but it doesn't bother me when I don't think about it. (I'm going to see it on my way home after reading this thread.) I know "live with it" seems like an unacceptable answer but the brain just filters out unimportant things pretty well, so long as it doesn't actually obstruct your view.

Other than that, yeah sunglasses.

·
Registered
862 Posts
You could remove the dash. Or the windshield. Pretty sure that's about it...
This is true. I have my front tinted, and if anything, it makes the glare worse. I got sick of it, so I bought a pair of good polarized glasses.

I'm not the biggest fan of glasses either, never have been, but this pair never leaves the car (sort of like driving gloves i guess). I've seen the anti glare mats, no way they are going in the ST.

This is your ONLY option, other than what many here have said: DEAL WITH IT!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
For me the dash pad material is livable but I have problems with reflection off the silver trim around the outboard dash vents reflecting on the side glass right where the outside rearview mirrors are located. For the most part I’ve learned to ignore it but when I first got the car I was considering changing or painting them.

As for the windshield, cars with long dashboards and steeply raked glass always seem to have some amount of reflection. The harder plastic section closest to the windshield can be a little shinier than the soft-touch padded vinyl closest to the occupants so I’ve mostly been using a damp cloth to keep it clean instead of a plastic protectant as to not make the material any worse. A lot of it probably depends on driving position and where you live. I find the Focus about average and there isn’t really too much you can do about it.

Adding a mat or other material over the dash is still going to cause reflections, just of a different color or material surface. If the plastic reflection really bothers you maybe try hitting up a fabric shop and see if they have a length of flat-black felt type material and cut a piece to match the inboard dash.

I’ve bought a car in the past that already had tint on the front windshield and I don’t think it would help and likely cause more issue with reflections. It also reduces light transmission at night which really sucks and is why it’s illegal in nearly every jurisdiction. Picking up some polarized sunglasses is probably the easiest “fix” as mentioned other than living with it and not using any cleaning or protectant materials on the part of the dash that bothers you that will make it more reflective.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FINE! I'll go buy some polarized sunglasses and wear 'em, you guys win, ya happy?! :p

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Yes.

But not as happy as you'll be. :LOL:

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I used to wear shades but now just the "auto tint" glasses i have and no major issues with the ST. Remarkable for a black car how quickly it cools off and and glare never an issue for me even with the long dash. I will never go tinted either because 50% of time here we have darkness or partly cloudy. I do most of my driving early morning/predawn or dusk and night.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I bought some Dockers polarized sunglasses at the mall today.. I must admit that even though I sorta feel like a douche wearing shades and driving a fast car at the same time, they do help out tremendously. Thanks for the advice guys :thumb:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well I bought some Dockers polarized sunglasses at the mall today.. I must admit that even though I sorta feel like a douche wearing shades and driving a fast car at the same time, they do help out tremendously. Thanks for the advice guys :thumb:
Not sure why you would feel like a douche. Should feel more like a douche for not wearing shades out when it's sunny. So many damn accidents because people don't wear shades and BAM SUN IN THE EYES! It's always a big issue in my area right around the time spring hits and people are driving into the sun during rush hour.

And ya, not like you're wearing them at night ;)

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I wear sunglasses when I go outside for a smoke break. In fact, if it's bright outside and I have sunglasses, I wear them. Ultraviolet rays can do damage to your eyes, better to protect them.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Not sure why you would feel like a douche.
It was kind of a joke, in reference to BMW/Corvette drivers.

What ever you do DO NOT put armorall on your dash. I did, big mistake. I used Meguiars interior detailer to remove it.
Yeah I made that mistake, then I used Mothers VLR, helped a little.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts