Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to post a response to the all-season vs snow tire debate in the Production Date thread, but I thought I'd start a new thread on the topic instead of add to the off-topic discussion there.

Being that the ST comes with summer tires, I'm pretty sure I'll need another set for the winter months. Living in Portland, we don't get a whole lot of snow and ice, but we do get more than our fair share of weeks of mid-30's temps and constant rain. I definitely want to keep the summer tires for the nice weather, however, I'm thinking about going with all seasons for the colder winter temps and rain, and I'm leaning towards the Continental ExtremeContact DWS, as I currently have those on my SHO and really like them.

I realize dedicated snow tires are great for those that drive in a lot of snow and ice, but I'm thinking an all season choice might be a better winter tire for those of us that just deal with constant cold and rain. The all seasons should be a lot more enjoyable for an occasional spirited drive in the winter when the roads dry out and certainly will hold up better than snow tires under aggressive driving. Besides, the few times a year we do get snow, that's what my F-250 is for. The ST can hang out in the garage on those days! :thumb:

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Snow tires are pretty much going to be a must for me... I'm actually glad it's coming with summer tires as I think all-seasons are just compromises all the way around: Jack of all trades, master of none. I'd end up getting winter tires anyways.

·
Registered
373 Posts
When you buy the car, just negotiate to have the dealer replace the summer tires with all seasons (and let them keep the summer tires). There's no reason why they wouldn't be able to do that.

·
Registered
337 Posts
When you buy the car, just negotiate to have the dealer replace the summer tires with all seasons (and let them keep the summer tires). There's no reason why they wouldn't be able to do that.
Why cripple the car? Why?

Put the money out for.some snows. Or if you really just want to.compromise for no reason. AS w an extra set of wheels

- Drew

·
Registered
373 Posts
Why cripple the car? Why?

Put the money out for.some snows. Or if you really just want to.compromise for no reason. AS w an extra set of wheels

- Drew
He stated he'd rather have all seasons on the car, I was merely offering a solution.

And in normal driving, how much of a difference will the vast majority of people see between all seasons and summer tires? Unless you're peeling around every corner, probably next to none.

·
Registered
353 Posts
He stated he'd rather have all seasons on the car, I was merely offering a solution.

And in normal driving, how much of a difference will the vast majority of people see between all seasons and summer tires? Unless you're peeling around every corner, probably next to none.
Right, except he stated he'd rather have all-seasons as an extra set instead of winters. Not that he'd rather just have all-seasons only. Still good advice for others who can't afford or don't have space for an extra set of tires/wheels.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right, except he stated he'd rather have all-seasons as an extra set instead of winters. Not that he'd rather just have all-seasons only.
Yes, this is what I meant. I am definitely keeping the summers for the warmer months and would simply substitute all seasons for snows as my winter tire.

We get a lot of rain around here, but never much snow or ice, so I'm thinking all seasons would be a better winter choice for those of us that live in cold, wet climates like Portland and Seattle.

I'd buy a set of snows in a second if I thought I'd use them, but I don't plan on this car even seeing the snow or ice - that's what the F-250 is for. Thinking about it, maybe I could just run the summers year-round, but everything I've heard is summers lose significant amounts of grip in temperatures below 45 and aren't the best for driving through lots of standing water.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Sounds like all seasons fit you needs just fine. Snows would just be overkill.

I enjoy driving spiritedly year round and snows are a must. Lots of funny stories involving people driving performance AWD cars with all season wondering why they can't keep pace with a Focus.

·
Registered
908 Posts
My current plan is to try to get some snow tires thrown in with my order, hopefully for a decent price, and installed before I leave. In Michigan, I think I'll need them.

Then when summer comes I can just swap the tires out for the fresh, unused, performance tires.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I live in Oklahoma where the winters are very unpredictable. 2010 we had over two months of snow and last year we had only one day. What I'm probably going to do is have the dealer switch the tires I just got on my civic (18 inch all seasons) with the ones on the ST. I hear you don't lose any 0-60/speed performance from using all season vs summer tires.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Maybe I'll just wait to see how the winter is. It'll probably start late again, so I won't need winter tires straight out of the dealer...

I'd rather delay that purchase :p

·
Registered
104 Posts
Where I live either all wheel drive or winter tires are a minimum and studless ice tires or studded tires are preferred. Unfortunately, I do not think studless ice tires or studded tires are made in the size and weight for the Focus ST.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I thought about that and I prefer to use a winter tire on the 18" wheels than place ugly 16" wheels with studless ice tires on the Focus ST.
It ain't so bad. A nice set of aluminum wheels for winter, or a set of steal wheels with OEM hubcaps.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Winters in Missouri suck ultra hard. You never know what will happen. It will be 70F one day, and the next it'll be below 20 and the next day there's gonna be a blizzard.

I'm thinking i'll either retire my car for the winter and drive my old corolla around, or get myself a cheapo set of 15's/16s with some winter tires that should get me around the place in a rather forward fashiong (rather than sideways) and keep my nice set of wheels from getting destroyed by the salt.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I checked into DWS in the stock size and they dont meet the load requirement according to tire rack. You'll probably need to get a set of 17s. Would be a lot easier with a second set of wheels anyway.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll be rockin a set of snows in the winter with cheap steelies. Much better than getting caught in a snow storm with summer tires. Summer tires don't grab well when the temperature drops anyway.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I checked into DWS in the stock size and they dont meet the load requirement according to tire rack. You'll probably need to get a set of 17s. Would be a lot easier with a second set of wheels anyway.
That's too bad the Conti DWS doesn't meet the load requirement in the stock size. I was planning on getting a second set of wheels anyway, but was hoping to stay with 18s and possibly a second set of OEM rims.

There is a possibility of me getting a set of race tires down the road for track events that I could swap out with my winter tires on the second set of wheels when necessary, so maybe I could live with 17s. May have to look for some gold/bronze wheels if I have to venture away from stockers... :!:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts