Ford Focus ST Forum banner

WRC'15 Rally Germany Aug20-23 talk/results spoiler**

2K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  jinstall 
#1 ·
Rnd9 WRC Germany Aug20-23

History

First held in 1982, the rally was part of the European Championship.
It relocated to Trier in 2000 and joined WRC in 2002.
Citroen won every Rallye Deutschland since it entered WRC until last year. Sebastien Loeb took nine victories, with one each for Sebastien Ogier and Dani Sordo until Hyundai?s Thierry Neuville topped the podium in 2014.

What?s new for 2015

Back-to-back runs over the Panzerplatte sprint test on Saturday morning.
The tricky Bosenberg roads in Saarland?s countryside are back for the first time since 2011.

Official Website: adac-rallye-deutschland.de/uk/

Listen Live: wrc.com/live_popup_radio

WRC+ : Live Stages/Live Maps/Onboard Action/Full Highlights plus.wrc.com/

---------------------------------

Trophy trio confident for surface switch

The three-way fight for the Drive DMACK Fiesta Trophy enters a new phase at ADAC Rallye Deutschland (20 - 23 August) in the only all-asphalt round of the series.

Marius Aasen, Tom Cave and Max Vatanen have all claimed a win each on gravel. Not only must they master the switch to asphalt, but they will also have to overcome a string of sealed surface experts eager to close the gap on the trio.

Cave trails leader Aasen by eight points after winning in Finland earlier this month, but the Briton heads into the 21 special stages, covering almost 375km, buoyed by victory in Germany last year (above) in the Trophy?s inaugural season.

"We had a good event there last year and I?m hoping to transfer that feeling and speed across to this week, I'm confident we are in for a shout of another win. I believe this event will be significant in terms of the championship and it's an opportunity for us to score some important points to overhaul the series leader," said Cave.

Both Aasen and Vatanen have competed in warm-up asphalt events, while Vatanen, who lies only a point behind Cave, has been karting to help acclimatise to the surface switch.

Dutch rookie Mats van den Brand (below) was blisteringly quick at his WRC debut in Germany last year when he competed outside the series as a privateer, while Ghislain de Mevius overcame a roll in 2014 to finish on the podium.

Kevin van Deijne and Gus Greensmith, fourth and fifth in the points, both favour asphalt as does Slovenian series newcomer Tim Novak, who makes his WRC debut.

All 10 drivers will be at the wheel of identical Ford Fiesta R2 cars prepared by M-Sport.

click: wrc.com/germany-dmack-preview/

See less See more
#2 ·
Shakedown

Jari-Matti Latvala was quickest in shakedown at ADAC Rallye Deutschland on Thursday morning by two-tenths of a second from Volkswagen Polo R team-mate Andreas Mikkelsen.

The Finn, who has a score to settle with this ninth round of the FIA World Rally Championship after crashing out of the lead during a crazy final morning last year, recorded the fastest time on his third and final run through the 4.60km Konz test.

"I have good and bad memories from the event but I’m here to try to make revenge," said Latvala. "We had a little fine tuning with the damper clicks after the first run because the settings were maybe too stiff, but I’m really happy with the car".

"I was able to bring a lot more set-up things from the 2014 car on asphalt than on gravel. We’re not far away from the dry condition set-up we used at Rallye Monte-Carlo, so where we ended in the test was quite to close the baseline settings we started with," he added.

Citroen’s Kris Meeke was third in his DS 3, 0.7sec behind Latvala, with championship leader Sebastien Ogier a further tenth behind in the final Polo R. Robert Kubica and Ott Tänak completed the top six, both driving Ford Fiesta RS cars.

Conditions were hot and dry, with the summer weather due to continue through the first two days on Friday and Saturday. However, rain is forecast for Sunday’s final leg.

The leading times were:

click: wrc.com/germany-shakedown/

#3 ·
Friday

SS1 Sauertal 1 (14.84 km)

74. 112 USA W. HUDSON 17:15.5 +5:01.1 +9:17.1

-------------------------------------

SS2:

Sebastien Ogier won Friday morning’s opening two speed tests at ADAC Rallye Deutschland to take an early lead in this ninth round of the FIA World Rally Championship.

The Frenchman was 1.4sec quicker than Volkswagen Polo R team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala in Sauertal, despite swiping a hay bale, and edged out the Finn by 0.4sec in Waxweiler, close to the Belgium border in the Eifel hills.

“It wasn’t a perfect stage again. I’m yet to find the perfect rhythm but I’m satisfied,” said Ogier, who could secure a third consecutive world title this weekend, at the end of SS2.

Latvala, winner in Finland earlier this month, was unsettled. "The first stage was OK, but I’m not happy with my driving in here. I’m losing too much time with understeer and I don’t know why," he explained.

Andreas Mikkelsen made it a Volkswagen 1-2-3 with third fastest in both stages, and the Norwegian felt there was more to come. "I was way too careful in many places," he said.

Kris Meeke was the first non-Polo driver, the Ulsterman fourth in both tests in Citroen's DS 3 but already 14.5sec behind the leading trio. Elfyn Evans and Thierry Neuville completed the top six in a Ford Fiesta RS and Hyundai i20 respectively.

Drivers reported slippery conditions, with gravel dragged onto the roads by the first few cars ensuring grip was low and understeering was a problem for many.

Ott Tanak discovered that to his cost near the start of Sauertal when he hit a patch of gravel in the braking zone for a corner and understeered into a field. His Fiesta RS sported damage to the front left and he dropped 20sec to Ogier’s time.

Robert Kubica started with a five minute penalty after his Ford Fiesta RS required an engine change following shakedown yesterday. The Pole walked over the start podium in Trier last night.

click: wrc.com/germany-ss2/

73. 112 USA W. HUDSON 29:42.7 +20.8 +12:11.2

SS3:

72. 112 USA W. HUDSON 47:47.5 +32.4 +16:13.1

SS4: Latvala edges clear of Ogier

Almost 70km of flat out asphalt action on Friday morning at ADAC Rallye Deutschland and just a tenth of a second separated Jari-Matti Latvala and team-mate Sebastien Ogier as they returned to Trier for service.

After trailing his Volkswagen Polo R colleague through the opening two speed tests on country roads, Latvala upped the pace in the vineyards on the banks of the Mosel river to lead by the slenderest of margins.

He was 2.3sec faster through Moselland to overturn a 1.8sec deficit, and although Ogier claimed his third stage win of the morning in Mittelmosel, Latvala held on to his lead.

“It's getting better,” said Latvala at the end of SS4. “It’s all about getting the braking right and I’ve found it hard to do that. It was more difficult than I thought this morning but now it’s service and normally this rally is easier in the afternoon.”

Ogier was happy, but not totally satisfied. “The set-up is better now but I’m not driving perfectly. I’m driving a good rally but I’m looking for perfection and I don’t have that at the moment,” he said.

Andreas Mikkkelsen was ultra-consistent, the Norwegian third in all four stages to lie 15.9sec off the lead and give Volkswagen a handsome 1-2-3.

Likewise, Kris Meeke had a full collection of fourth fastest times. The Ulsterman trailed Mikkelsen by 5.5sec in Citroen’s DS 3 despite breaking a wheel rim in Moselland after swiping a kerb as he powered out of a slow junction.

Dani Sordo headed Hyundai i20 team-mate Thierry Neuville by 2.9sec to round off the top six. Sordo struggled with loose gravel dragged onto the road by the cars ahead, but Neuville admitted he simply wasn’t driving fast enough.

Elfyn Evans dropped to seventh after resetting the handbrake in his Ford Fiesta RS in SS3, while Hayden Paddon, Mads Ostberg and Ott Tanak completed the leaderboard.

click: SS4: Latvala edges clear of Ogier - wrc.com

68. 112 USA W. HUDSON 58:12.7 +1:32.6 +18:31.0

#4 ·
SS5:

57. 112 USA W. HUDSON 10:06.0 +6.6 +2:09.6

---------------------------------------

SS6: Ogier ahead as Meeke hits trouble

Sebastien Ogier regained the lead of ADAC Rallye Deutschland on Friday afternoon after two more stage victories took his tally of wins to five from six speed tests.

After trailing Volkswagen Polo R team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala by a tenth of a second at mid-leg service, Ogier moved back ahead by winning the second pass through Sauertal by 2.5sec. He gained a further 2.3sec in Waxweiler to lead by 4.7sec.

“The set-up feels better this afternoon and I’m more comfortable in the car. Some corners were cleaner than I expected so I lost a little time, but it’s better to be surprised like that and not the other way around!” said Ogier.

Latvala admitted he lost time in the corner cuts. “I can’t go any better when it’s dirty. I like the asphalt when it’s clean and I’m not so confident in the dirty places. These two stages are the most difficult for cuts,” he said.

Meeke dropped 90sec and plunged to 11th after going off the road. "I was caught out on some gravel. I went off into a field and had to find my way out. The car felt OK but then something went and I have a problem. I have to find out what," he said.

Dani Sordo climbed to fourth behind Andreas Mikkelsen, who maintained his unblemished collection of third fastest times, the gap between the pair 30.1sec. Sordo was relieved to be there after clipping a kerb in Sauertal and bouncing his Hyundai i20 into a ditch.

Thierry Neuville relished Waxweiler, which runs close to his family home, and fourth fastest moved the Belgian to within 1.4sec of his team-mate, while Ott Tanak demoted Hayden Paddon and Mads Ostberg to climb to seventh in his Ford Fiesta RS.

Waxweiler was a torrid stage for Martin Prokop who went off twice, hitting a tree on the first occasion, and then spun. He lost 90sec.

click: wrc.com/germany-ss6/

57. 112 USA W. HUDSON 10:06.0 +6.6 +2:09.6

SS7:

51. 112 USA W. HUDSON 17:47.7 +3.5 +3:53.5

SS8:

53. 112 USA W. HUDSON 10:25.0 +4.9 +2:22.4

Ogier heads VW 1-2-3 in Germany

Sebastien Ogier won seven of Friday’s eight speed tests to lead ADAC Rallye Deutschland after the opening leg.

He headed team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala by 9.5sec, while Andreas Mikkelsen completed a Volkswagen Polo R 1-2-3 a further 25.4sec back in this ninth round of the FIA World Rally Championship.

Ogier’s statistical dominance doesn’t tell the full story of an intriguing day on asphalt close to the Belgian border and in the Mosel vineyards near Trier. He won the first two stages but Latvala claimed the third and ended the morning a tenth of a second ahead.

But the Frenchman fine-tuned his car’s set-up and won all four afternoon tests to regain the initiative and pull clear.

“I had a great afternoon, it was really good fun. It’s a long time since I pushed so hard on asphalt. I found a better set-up for the afternoon, but Jari-Matt isn’t far behind so we have to keep going the same way tomorrow,” said Ogier.

Latvala became frustrated by the conditions. Dirt dragged onto the roads this morning left them slippery when repeated this afternoon and he felt uncomfortable cutting corners to shave off tenths of a second.

Mikkelsen started cautiously but a string of third fastest times kept him ahead of Kris Meeke until a mistake from the Ulsterman handed the Norwegian breathing space.

Meeke was caught out by a patch of gravel in SS6 and slithered into a field. He regained the road but a broken front left compression strut cost more than nine minutes as he limped Citro?n’s DS 3 through the rest of the day.

Hyundai team-mates Dani Sordo and Thierry Neuville traded places on four occasions as they duelled for fourth. Third in the final stage for Sordo secured the place by 1.9sec, the only test when Volkswagen failed to lockout the top three.

Elfyn Evans was sixth in a Ford Fiesta RS despite an early handbrake issue, ahead of team-mate Ott T?nak who dropped 10sec after hitting gravel in a braking zone and understeering into a field.

Hayden Paddon was eighth, Mads ?stberg gained confidence late in the day to hold ninth and St?phane Lefebvre rounded off the leaderboard on his World Rally Car debut in a DS 3, despite a mistake at a penultimate stage chicane.

Robert Kubica started with a five minute penalty after an engine change following yesterday’s shakedown. The Pole went off the road into the vines in the final stage, stopping shortly afterwards to kick out the damaged windscreen in his Fiesta RS (below).

Drives face a marathon day tomorrow with more than 13 hours behind the wheel and 170.79km of action. It includes five stages on the daunting Panzerplatte military roads at Baumholder.

click: wrc.com/germany-wrc-day-1

#5 ·
Saturday

SS9:

61. 112 USA W. HUDSON 2:02:52.3 +3:01.5 +32:54.7

--------------------------------------

SS10:

Duelling team-mates Sebastien Ogier and Jari-Matti Latvala shared the honours through Saturday morning’s opening two speed tests at ADAC Rallye Deutschland.

Leader Ogier won the Grafschaft vineyard stage in his Volkswagen Polo R to extend his advantage over Jari-Matti Latvala to 11.8sec. The Finn retaliated with victory in Bosenberg’s country roads to bring the deficit back down to 9.0sec.

“I had a clean drive and didn’t take any risks. I confirmed the pace notes for the second run,” said Ogier, the Frenchman clearly hoping to raise his pace on this afternoon’s repeat pass, a technique that allowed him to pull clear of Latvala yesterday.

Latvala was third in Grafschaft and unhappy with his braking, but more comfortable in the flowing Bosenberg. “In some sections I couldn’t get the exact feeling when I should be braking, but the next one was better. I remembered some parts from 2007 and there were more straights – it was easier to see!” he said.

Andreas Mikkelsen preserved third while strong times from Thierry Neuville enabled the Belgian to ease ahead of Hyundai i20 team-mate Dani Sordo by 1.8sec in the fight for fourth. Sordo had a gearchange issue in Bosenberg that made it hard to shift down in hairpins.

Elfyn Evans was second in SS9 to maintain sixth ahead of Ford Fiesta RS team-mate Ott Tanak, who was hampered in SS10 when an onboard camera came loose. “It affected my concentration. I tried to hold it up so it didn’t get caught behind the brake pedal,” said Tanak.

Mads Ostberg went off the road briefly in Grafschaft after messing up a handbrake turn and ended the next stage with a vibration in his DS 3 after clipping something in a corner. Martin Prokop dropped almost 30sec with a broken driveshaft in his Fiesta RS.

click: wrc.com/germany-ss10/

61. 112 USA W. HUDSON 2:14:37.9 +3:20.4 +35:22.6

SS11:

59. 112 USA W. HUDSON 2:16:51.9 +3:25.2 +35:50.1

SS12:

60. 112 USA W. HUDSON 2:19:04.6 +3:31.1 +36:17.2

SS13:

ADAC Rallye Deutschland leader Sebastien Ogier tamed the feared Panzerplatte military roads to win all three Saturday morning stages on the Baumholder ranges and give himself breathing space at the top of the leaderboard.

He topped the times over both runs of the sprint Arena Panzerplatte to extend his lead over Volkswagen Polo R team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala by 2.7sec. He then defeated the Finn by 6.8sec through the 45.61km test to return to service in Trier with an 18.5sec advantage.

“It was a difficult stage because without split times you never know where you are compared to other drivers and what kind of rhythm you’re driving at. I had a not so bad run, although the front tyres moved a bit near the end,” said Ogier after the long stage.

Latvala was deflated. “The car wasn’t what I expected it to be. In testing I had a good feeling but it didn’t work in these conditions. It was too stiff,” he said.

Andreas Mikkelsen was fourth in all three stages and the Norwegian remained comfortable in third, 48.5sec behind Latvala, to preserve the German squad’s 1-2-3.

Thierry Neuville ceded fourth to Hyundai i20 team-mate Dani Sordo after a disappointing run over the tank training roads blighted by understeering and brake issues. The gap between them overall was 6.7sec, with Sordo second and third in the sprint tests.

Elfyn Evans held a 16.6sec gap over team-mate Ott Tanak, both reporting tyre wear issues on their Ford Fiesta RS cars near the end, while Mads ?stberg overhauled Hayden Paddon for eighth despite a heavy landing over the famous Gina jump.

Paddon was downbeat, the Kiwi unhappy with his car’s set-up and a minute slower than Ogier. St?phane Lefebvre rounded off the top 10, mightily impressive in setting second fastest time in SS12 on his DS 3 World Rally Car debut.

Martin Prokop dropped more than a minute as driveshaft problems led to a flat spot on his right rear tyre, Kevin Abbring drove the final 10km with no power steering and Robert Kubica stopped after 17km after ripping a wheel from his Fiesta RS.

click: wrc.com/germany-ss13/

60. 112 USA W. HUDSON 2:51:40.0 +2:06.2 +43:13.5

#6 ·
SS14:

Both Ott Tanak and Jari-Matti Latvala survived brushes with the Mosel vineyard scenery in Saturday afternoon’s opening speed test at ADAC Rallye Deutschland.

T?nak completed the second pass through Grafschaft with two chunks missing from the front left wheel rim of his Ford Fiesta RS while second-placed Latvala dented a rim on his Volkswagen Polo R – but both survived unscathed.

Tanak was acclimatising to a set-up change when he hit a rock early in the 18.35km test.

“Changing the set-up changed things quite a lot and in the first corner I clipped a rock on the inside. It was bad for my rhythm, but by the middle of the stage I understood what was different and the second half was better. The car is much more reactive,” he said.

Latvala admitted he did not know what he hit. “I can’t remember an impact but there were a couple of compressions, so it could have been there,” said the Finn, who was fastest by 1.3sec from team-mate and leader S?bastien Ogier.

Third-placed Andreas Mikkelsen is already thinking about the next asphalt event in Corsica. “We changed the differential in service and it takes time to get used to. We’re testing a little bit for Corsica,” said the Norwegian.

Dani Sordo stretched his advantage over Thierry Neuville by a few tenths in fourth despite continued gearchange issues in his Hyundai i20, while Martin Prokop had a front left puncture after completing with a cut in the tyre.

click: wrc.com/germany-ss14/

58. 112 USA W. HUDSON 3:05:09.7 +1:19.8 +46:00.7

------------------------------------

SS15:

55. 112 USA W. HUDSON 3:07:22.3 +2:00.6 +46:27.4

SS16:

Sebastien Ogier delivered a stunning drive over Panzerplatte’s tank training roads on Saturday afternoon to put himself firmly in control of ADAC Rallye Deutschland.

He won the marathon 45.61km speed test by a remarkable 15.3sec from Volkswagen Polo R team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala, extending his lead to 32.3sec with one stage remaining in the penultimate leg.

“I had a really good stage. I found a good set-up with the car and the tyres survived OK. Even at the end I could push,” explained the Frenchman.

Latvala, who was fastest through the previous short sprint stage from Thierry Neuville, was at a loss to explain the massive difference.

“I thought we had a good run but it looks a bad time. I’m really surprised, I don’t understand. The feeling was good, there were no big mistakes but the time wasn’t there,” said the Finn.

Andreas Mikkelsen admitted his Polo R was difficult to drive after replacing the differential at mid-leg service, but he retained third ahead of Dani Sordo. Sordo edged further clear of team-mate Neuville despite continued problems when shifting from second gear to first.

Sixth-placed Elfyn Evans had a narrow escape after sliding wide near the finish but M-Sport team-mate Ott T?nak was in bigger trouble when he went off and lost a minute. Most of the time loss was because the starter motor in his Ford Fiesta RS wasn’t working and he couldn’t restart the engine.

His error allowed Mads ?stberg to climb to seventh and the Citro?n pilot is 7.2sec adrift of Evans.

Hayden Paddon was over a minute off Ogier’s pace in his Hyundai i20, but at least the Kiwi found the source of his lacklustre performance. A turbo problem has grown progressively worse but has only just been identified.

click: wrc.com/germany-ss16/

54. 112 USA W. HUDSON 3:39:22.8 +1:25.5 +52:53.9

SS17:

51. 112 USA W. HUDSON 3:51:20.6 +29.0 +55:38.1

Sebastien Ogier’s mastery of the famous Panzerplatte military roads put him in control of ADAC Rallye Deutschland after Saturday’s second leg.

He crushed team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala through both runs of the marathon speed test on the Baumholder ranges to extend his lead to 33.8sec with four tricky stages in the Mosel vineyards remaining tomorrow.

Ogier’s lead stood at 9.0sec as the rally ventured onto the daunting tank training tracks for the first time this morning. On roads ranging from smooth asphalt to broken concrete, lined by huge kerbstones normally used to keep tanks in line, the Frenchman was supreme.

He won both the 45.61km test and the preceding two sprint stages to more than double his lead to 18.5sec. His performance on the afternoon pass was even more stunning, blitzing Latvala by more than 15sec to extend his lead beyond half a minute.

“It was a perfect day,” Ogier admitted. “We made most of the difference in Panzerplatte and that was the key to the rally. We had the right set-up and tyre management, but it’s never easy without split times because you never know where you are with the rhythm.”

Robert Kubica [below] retired after damaging the suspension on his Fiesta RS.

Read More: wrc.com/gemany-saturday-wrap

#7 ·
Sunday

SS18:

47. 112 USA W. HUDSON 4:05:08.4 +45.9 +58:35.1

SS19:

Elfyn Evans and Jari-Matti Latvala shared the honours in Sunday’s opening two speed tests at ADAC Rallye Deutschland but there was little to disturb the status quo on the leaderboard.

Evans put yesterday’s frustrations behind him to outpace Latvala by six-tenths of a second in Stein & Wein and break Volkswagen’s domination of stage victories. Latvala then went quickest in Dhrontal, the stage where he crashed out of the lead 12 months ago.

“We had quite a big moment with two wheels on the grass but we’re still here,” said Evans after his stage-winning drive in a Ford Fiesta RS.

Latvala was relieved to erase last year’s memories. “Now I can relax a bit. I’ve never driven this stage as well as I did now. I know now why I made the mistake last year, my notes were too fast. I wish I could use a time machine to go back a year. You learn every day, every day is a school day!” he said.

Leader Sebastien Ogier cruised through SS18 in fourth and SS19 in eighth to return to service in Trier 22.6sec ahead of team-mate Latvala.

Andreas Mikkelsen retained third ahead of Dani Sordo, who was third and second in the two tests. Sordo extended his advantage over team-mate Thierry Neuville, the two Hyundai drivers under instructions to hold position in fourth and fifth.

Mads Ostberg went off several times in Dhrontal after the front brakes locked on Citro?n’s DS 3 and Martin Prokop’s troubled weekend ended when the Czech retired his Fiesta RS in Stein & Wein after a double puncture.

click: wrc.com/germany-ss19/

48. 112 USA W. HUDSON 4:16:42.3 +53.4 +1:00:49.5

SS20:

46. 112 USA W. HUDSON 4:30:22.5 +54.7 +1:03:44.0

SS21:

Sebastien Ogier won ADAC Rallye Deutschland on Sunday afternoon to move within touching distance of a third consecutive FIA World Rally Championship title.

Ogier took his second German victory in a Volkswagen Polo R, beating team-mate Jari-Matti Latvala by 23.0sec after three days of asphalt action on military roads and in the Mosel vineyards near Trier.

Andreas Mikkelsen finished third, a further 1min 33.6sec back, to secure a 1-2-3 for the German manufacturer at its home round and complete a full set of victories in the WRC calendar since it entered in 2013.

Latvala won the final live TV Power Stage to claim three bonus points. Kris Meeke took two points in second in Citroen’s DS 3 and Dani Sordo secured one in a Hyundai i20.

click: wrc.com/germany-breaking-news

46. 112 USA W. HUDSON 4:41:59.8 +31.0 +1:06:10.3

Next Rnd 10 - Rally Australia Sept10-13

Official Website: rallyaustralia

Listen Live: wrc.com/live_popup_radio

WRC+ : Live Stages/Live Maps/Onboard Action/Full Highlights plus.wrc.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.