Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right in the middle of run 4 of 5 (needless to say I did not get my 5th) of autoX.

Pipe blew right off throttle body. Sounded like something exploded..cause it did.

BTW: I had the intercooler pipe blow off a couple weeks back. What is the next weak point? Im getting frustrated with this stuff.

Throttle Body Pipe Missing.jpg

The Fix:

Remove all the under body protection. Fit pipe back together. Move clamp so it can be tightened from the top. Tighten clamp.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Just to make sure I understand what I am looking at. The throttle body is the circle on the left and the hose is off and is above and slightly to the right of the throttle body.

·
Registered
62 Posts
So here's my plan upon buying a ST3 (once the factory builds it).

Drive home very gengerly, remove lower engine covers... spend 2-3 hours checking and tightening every kind of hose connection I can find.

THANKS a LOT Ford "craftsmenship" :confused:

Still want one, but I've never ever heard of so many new owners blowing hoses all over the damned country.
Would sure like to hear annoucement from Ford that they acknowledge the problems... and have instituted corrective measures.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to make sure I understand what I am looking at. The throttle body is the circle on the left and the hose is off and is above and slightly to the right of the throttle body.
That is correct. When I first popped the hood I could not even find the hose that connects to the throttle body, it was all bent out of the way.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Replace factory clamps with t-bolt clamps, problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would be okay with doing this if I was running a modified car, but stock cars should work with stock components.

Update:

I tightened everything back up and went out to drive the snot out of it. Runs great again!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would be okay with doing this if I was running a modified car, but stock cars should work with stock components.

Update:

I tightened everything back up and went out to drive the snot out of it. Runs great again!
Glad your spirits are back up. Now I won't feel so bad about beating you. You look at any of the vids yet?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad your spirits are back up. Now I won't feel so bad about beating you. You look at any of the vids yet?
Yeah, video quality = poor, but they are fun. Still don't know why gro-pro stopped working. Maybe my car and all things that touch it are cursed. Could explain a lot in my life.

·
Registered
234 Posts
So, I'm thinking t-bolt clamps might be a "purchase before you get the car" mod, just like the engine mount. Can someone help out with what sizes are needed?
I was planning on doing this when I got my car, perhaps throwing together a quick "kit" for purchase if some company doesn't do it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have boxes of t-bolt clamps left over from my mustang blower project.....
I'll dig them out today, see what fits and post up sizes.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I think its obvious that the torque specs given to the line workers does not take into account the level of pressure built in the intake tract. They are probably the same specs used on the ecoboost in the edge and escape. I worry about this every time I WOT my ST.. haven't had an issue myself but it needs to be eliminated with some t-bolts. Looking forward to your reply 4fords!

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I had my SRT-4, checking for boost leaks was a very common thing guys would do before going to the strip or auto-x. It was crazy how many spots that car leaked boost from. Basically all the intercooler and throttle body pipes needed t bolt clamps, and all the vacuum lines needed hose clamps. It was a pain to test it on a routine basis but it made a huge difference in performance.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts